Looking for a great action camera, but not sure you want a GoPro? In this post, we’ll look at the best GoPro alternatives. These alternatives are solid – great feature sets and some are cheaper than the latest GoPro camera.
The best GoPro alternatives are made by DJI, Insta360, Akaso, and Olympus. You can find great alternatives to GoPro cameras in each category: cheaper, smaller, 360-degree, and traveler cameras.
4 Best GoPro Alternatives
The GoPro is considered (by many) the best action camera because of its video capabilities, size, weight, and durability. But the cameras on this list can hold their own.
Some have features that you won’t find on a GoPro.
Here are my picks for the best GoPro alternative cameras.
- Cheaper GoPro Alternative: DJI Osmo Action 3. Get your DJI Osmo Action 3 on DJI, Amazon, or BestBuy.
- Small GoPro Alternative: The DJI Action 2 is a great alternative to the Hero11 Black Mini. Get your DJI Action 2 on DJI, Amazon, or BestBuy.
- 360 GoPro Alternative: Insta360 X3 is a great way to shoot 360-degree video. Get your Insta360 camera on Insta360 or Amazon.
- GoPro Alternative for Travelers: DJI Pocket 2 is portable, easy to use, and shoots amazing footage. Get your DJI Pocket 2 on DJI, Amazon, or BestBuy.
Okay, let’s get into the details of each camera model.
Cameras Like Hero11 Black
1. DJI Osmo Action 3
In addition to matching many GoPro features, it also does exceptionally well at cold temperatures. The battery will last up to 2.5 hours at -4° F (-20° C).
And aside from the Hero11 Black, the Action 3 is my favorite action camera. Image quality rivals the GoPro. It captures vivid colors and has outstanding image stabilization. And it has voice prompt and voice control.
The battery is also fast charging. Get up to an 80% charge in just 18 minutes. If you don’t want to buy a bunch of extra batteries, you don’t have to. Just recharge on the go with a power bank.
Primary Features of the Osmo Action 3
- Video Resolution: 4K at 120 frames per second
- Field of View: 155° Super Wide FOV
- Photo Resolution: 12 MP (4000 x 3000)
- Stabilization: RockSteady 3.0 and Horizon Steady
- Battery Life: 160 minutes. That’s 2.5 hours! Battery capacity is 1770 mAh.
- Waterproof: 52 feet (16 meters). No external case is needed.
- Screens and Control: Dual touchscreens allow you to control the front and back.
- Size: 2.8 x 1.7 x 1.3″ (70.5×44.2×32.8 mm)
- Weight: 5.1 ounces (145 grams)
2. Akaso Brave 7 LE
I’ve had a good experience with the Akaso brand so far. It isn’t equivalent to GoPro, but it is a good budget alternative.
This camera is rated as water resistant, which is basically splashproof. I wouldn’t snorkel with it, but it’s good for a rainy day.
- Video Resolution: 4K 30fps
- Photo Resolution: 20MP
- Stabilization: Yes, they call it gimbal-like 6-axis stabilization.
- Battery Life: 55 minutes. The battery capacity is 1350 mAh. Ships with two batteries.
- Waterproof: IPX7 Water resistant. Rates for up to 3.3 feet (1 meter) with an external case. The LE model ships with an external case that is rated for 131 feet (40 meters).
- Screens and Control: Dual screens (front and back). The back screen is a touch screen.
- Weight: 2.65 ounces (75 grams)
3. Insta360 One R
This one looks like a GoPro but it is notably different. The One R can shoot regular or 360-degree footage.
This camera features a 1-inch image sensor. It also accepts external mics and has voice control. It isn’t rated for the same waterproofing as GoPro cameras, but its image sensor is superior.
- Video Resolution: 5.7K 30fps / 4K 60fps
- Photo Resolution: 19MP
- Stabilization: Flow State Stabilization
- Battery Life: 1 hour. Battery capacity is 1190mAh.
- Waterproof: IPX8 – 16 feet (5 meters).
- Screens and Control. One touch screen.
- Size: 3 x 2.1 x 1.9″ (78.7 x 53.8 x 47.2 mm)
- Weight: 5.6 ounces (158 grams)
Alternative to the GoPro Hero11 Black Mini
4. DJI Action 2
I really like this tiny camera. It is light, even wearable (even comes with a magnetic lanyard), and shoots great footage.
It is the lightest camera on the list. And a great alternative to the GoPro Mini (Hero11 Black). It has a secondary display with a battery that attaches magnetically. It’s a great way to add a forward-facing camera – and triple the battery life.
So while the Action 2 base camera is waterproof, remember that the Power Module isn’t waterproof on its own. It requires a waterproof case.
- Video Resolution: 4K at 120 fps
- Field of View: 155° Super Wide FOV
- Photo Resolution: 12 MP (4000 x 3000)
- Stabilization: RockSteady 2.0 and Horizon Steady
- Battery Life: 70 minutes. Battery capacities are 580 and 1300 mAh.
- Waterproof: 33 feet (10 meters). If you add the waterproof case, it increases to 197 feet (60 meters)
- Screens and Control: Yes, on the back of the camera.
- Size: 1.5 x 1.5 x 0.9″ (39×39×22.3 mm)
- Weight: 2 ounces (56 grams)
Camera Like GoPro Max (360)
5. Insta360 X3
I like the Insta 360 line of cameras. Because this shoots 360 and 180 degrees, it can easily be a single travel camera. Shoot like a normal camera, like an action camera, and a 360-degree camera.
A great feature of the Insta360 camera is that it can be reframed after the footage is shot. Because it shoots every angle, you can easily choose the best angle later.
- Video Resolution: 5.7K at 360 degree FOV. Up to 8K timelapse video.
- Photo Resolution: 18MP regular photo. Or 72MP image at 360 degrees.
- Stabilization: FlowState Stabilization and Horizion Lock
- Battery Life: 81 minutes. Battery capacity is 1800mAh
- Waterproof: IPX8 33 feet (10 meters). No external case required.
- Screens and Control. One touchscreen.
- Size: 4.5 x 1.8 x 1.3″ (114 x 46 x 33.1 mm)
- Weight: 6.3 oz (180 grams)
I’ve owned the X2 for a couple of years, and I’m happy with how easy it is to shoot with. The colors are vibrant and footage is smooth.
Waterproof Cameras Like GoPro
6. Olympus Tough TG-6 Waterproof
This is a tough camera. It is waterproof (50 feet), dustproof, shockproof (7 feet), crushproof (100kgf), and freezeproof (14° F, -10°C). And it also shoots 4K video at up to 120 fps.
Shoot in RAW, take artistic macro shots, and a lens that won’t fog.
The TG-6 is tougher than a GoPro. And handles more like a traditional camera. This is a good alternative to a GoPro camera. Especially if you are in traveling in cold or rough terrain.
Get the Tough TG-6 on Amazon.
- Video Resolution: 4k 120fps
- Photo Resolution: 12MP
- Stabilization: Yes
- Battery Life: 50-110 minutes depending on how many features are enabled.
- Waterproof: 50 feet (15 meters). No case is required.
- Screens and Control: Large, bright screen. Not touch sensitive.
- Size: 4.4 x 2.6 x 1.3″ (112 x 66 x 33 mm)
- Weight: 9 ounces (256 grams)
Comes in bright red, or black with red accents (as pictured).
You might also consider the DJI Osmo Action 3 or the Insta360 X3.
Travel Cameras Like GoPro
7. DJI Pocket 2
This model is new to me. I’ve tested the lens which is also used on the Mini drone. I’ve tested their action cameras, I haven’t tried this one yet. And if I didn’t already own a dozen action cameras, I would definitely consider this model for travel footage.
- Video Resolution: 4K/60fps
- Photo Resolution: 64MP
- Stabilization: Unlike the previous cameras, the Pocket 2 has an actual 3-axis motorized gimbal.
- Battery Life: 140 minutes. Battery capacity is 875 mAh
- Waterproof: No. You’ll need to purchase a waterproof case to protect it from water.
- Screens and Control: Has buttons and a small 1″ square touch screen.
- Size: 5 x 1.5 x 1.2″ (124.7 x 38.1 x 30 mm)
- Weight: 4.1 ounces (117 grams)
Shooting aerial footage will definitely improve your travel videos.
Is a drone really an alternative to a GoPro? I think so. The drone can go places you can, giving impossible perspectives for land-based travelers.
DJI drones, especially the Mini series, are very inexpensive.
Why Consider a GoPro Competitor?
While GoPro has set the action camera standard in quality and features, there are a few reasons you might consider an alternative camera.
- Cost: This is a big one. You can get a camera like GoPro for 25-50% less than the price of the latest GoPro. A $400 camera might just not be in the budget.
- Limited use: Or maybe you can’t justify the price because you will only use it a few times a year. You might want a waterproof camera for an upcoming trip, but don’t know when you’ll use it next.
- Other Features: While I love GoPro, they don’t cover every need. The Insta360 cameras make a more user-friendly 360-degree camera. DJI makes a better mini camera with the Action 2.
With so many choices, it’s important to determine which features matter most for your adventures.
Have you decided which camera you’ll get?
Will you go with one of the cameras like GoPro but cheaper on this list? Or maybe you already have one, please let us know what you think by commenting on this post.
You may also be interested in the post, should I get a GoPro?
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Hey, I’m Dena! I’m a content creator and co-founder of Storyteller Tech.
Experienced GoPro Videographer: I’ve been shooting with GoPro cameras since 2012. Our first GoPro was the Hero3 Silver, bought for a Galapagos press trip. And today, we own 20+ action cameras, including GoPro, DJI, and Insta360 cameras.
Professional Creator: Bryan and I have developed video and content marketing plans for numerous international travel brands. And we also run several content businesses.
Photography Writer: I’ve written photography tutorials for well-known sites, including Digital Photography School.